Current & Past Projects
40 West Street, Bristol
The original 34,000-square-foot structure was built in 1946 and primarily occupied by the former Chic Miller Chevrolet until the early 2000s, where it has since sat abandoned. The Connecticut Brownfield Land Bank awarded approximately $99,000 to the City of Bristol to conduct a Phase II Environmental Site Assessment and a Hazardous Building Material Survey. The site requires an estimated $500,000 in soil and groundwater abatement and $450,000 to abate hazardous materials. Land Bank staff and the City of Bristol are evaluating the next steps to redevelop the parcel into a mixed-use development.
300 Broad Street, Bristol
The century-old manufacturing complex was constructed in 1915 by Wallace Barnes Company and was last occupied by Theis Precision Steel until 2019. The now-vacant parcel was acquired by private developers in 2022. The Connecticut Brownfield Land Bank awarded approximately $74,000 to complete assessment activities. A conceptual RAP, supported by Phase II and Phase III reports identified more than $1 million in remedial costs related to the site’s historical manufacturing use. Staff is assisting the property owners to secure additional state funding to rehabilitate more than 300,000 square feet of interior space to modern manufacturing, industrial, and warehouse facilities. Invested funds are expected to leverage several million dollars in private funding and create dozens of full-time, high-paying jobs. NVCOG has secured an award of $3.7 million from the Department and Economic and Community Development to abate and remediate four existing buildings on the 23-acre site. Preliminary meetings will take place throughout the summer with the property owners, DECD, and NVCOG staff.
1 Watrous Street, East Hampton
The Town of East Hampton was awarded $52,645.50 to complete a Phase II environmental site assessment and hazardous materials building survey to identify required remedial activities at the former Summit Thread Company site. The resulting reports will assist the town in determining the next steps for future reuse.
304 Seymour Ave, Derby
Griffin Hospital requested assistance acquiring environmental data to acquire an underutilized parcel at 304 Seymour Ave, Derby. A $25,000 award from the Connecticut Brownfield Land Bank Data facilitated a Phase II report that resulted in a no-further action letter from CTDEEP. The hospital has since purchased the property and is currently working on transforming the building into medical teaching offices. Non-federal leverage is anticipated at $350,000 supplemented by the creation of 3-5 jobs.
67-71 Minerva Street, Derby
NVCOG’s Revolving Loan Fund Committee awarded the city of Derby $293,000 to conduct remedial activities at a former and currently vacant autobody shop. The site is located along the Naugatuck River, within a Transportation Oriented Development area and in close proximity to other downtown redevelopment projects. Supplemented by a $650,000 grant from the Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD), and $25,000 from the CTBLB for demolition and abatement, these grants will leverage approximately $15 million in private investments to build a mixed-use space with 90 high-quality one and two-bedroom apartments with ground-floor commercial space and additional parking. Derby has signed an agreement with BL Companies to oversee the remaining remedial activities. The Developer, Cedar Village Minerva Square, and Brennan Construction are anticipated to issue an RFP for abatement and construction services in the coming months, with work set to begin shortly after. All parties have signed a financial assistance proposal with DECD.
698 South Main Street, Waterbury (Anamet)
The Connecticut Brownfield Land Bank awarded $20,500 to the Waterbury Development Corporation to support assessment activities at the former Anamet factory complex.
From 1812-1977 the 17.46-acre site was used for metal manufacturing by Benedict and Burnham Manufacturing Company, American Brass Company, Anaconda American Brass Company, and ARCO. Most of the site has been vacant since 2003, with only a small portion of it being rented to a landscaping company. The High Bay Building was originally constructed in 1852 with subsequent additions in 1913 and 1916. Current redevelopment plans include returning a portion of this site to industrial use via redevelopment of the 200,000 sq. ft. High Bay Building. The properties’ size presents a unique opportunity to attract and sustain multiple, substantial tenants, enabling mixed-use redevelopment opportunities. The property sits at the nexus of major transportation networks, including Route 8 and I-84, and in proximity to the Metro North railway & the Waterbury Train Station (.9 miles away), and the local bus line (nearest stop .3 miles away). The property borders Waterbury’s downtown area, the Naugatuck River and Greenway (currently under further development). The redevelopment of this 17.46-acre site has the potential to create hundreds of industrial-zoned jobs in one of the poorest areas in the City and the State. The Anamet complex is the subject of extensive ongoing investment, including $10,000,000 from state and local partners. Once completed, the site is expected to yield $100,000,000 in private investment. Environmental assessment activities within the high-bay building are complete and ongoing across the site. Remedial activities have commenced. The City has demolished the remaining three buildings on site. An RFP for a developer has been completed, with responses currently under review.
1 Main Street, Plainville (White Oak)
The Department of Economic Development (DECD) awarded the Town of Plainville a Brownfield Municipal Grant for remediation, abatement, and demolition of the former White Oak Corporation Office Center at 1 & 63 West Main Street, Plainville. The town previously received DECD Brownfield grant funding to complete Phase I, II, and III Environmental Site Assessments (ESA) at the project site. Based on the ESA’s recommendations, the town prepared a Remedial Action Plan that would enable future mixed-use redevelopment of the site.
The DECD Brownfield Grant will fund the remediation and abatement of the building structures and groundwater and soil Areas of Concern (AOCs) at the project site. The Town will engage the services of the Connecticut Brownfield Land Bank (CTBLB) as Technical Advisor and Project Manager for the abatement and remediation phase of the project through the Connecticut Brownfield Land Bank Contract. This remediation and abatement will enable the redevelopment of the 15-acre site into a mixed-use development.
The Town of Plainville selected, Manafort Newport Realty, LLC to implement the Redevelopment Project. The current plan for the mixed-use development consists of approximately: 13,500 sq. ft. of medical offices, 16,800 sq. ft. of industrial condos, 11,000 sq. ft. of retail space, 175 multi-family housing units, 30,240 sq. ft. mixed-use building, 423 parking spaces, and 7 acres of green space. In addition, the redevelopment will facilitate the State of Connecticut’s work on the Farmington Canal Heritage Bike Trail.
318 North Main Street, Southington
The site was occupied by Aetna Match Company, a match manufacturer during the late 1800s. Beaton & Corbin occupied the Site from approximately 1900 through 1989. Beaton & Corbin manufactured ceiling and floor plates, and plumbing fittings and fixtures. Operations included metal machining and metal plating. Wastes formerly generated during Beaton & Corbin occupancy include metal hydroxide plating sludge, plating wastes, and degreasing and machining oils. These wastes were disposed of in two lagoons in the southwest portion of the Site. Five storage tanks which reportedly contained oil, gasoline, liquid wastes, and chemical raw materials were historically used on-site.
The former 25,000-square-foot building was located in the northern portion of the Site and was destroyed in a fire on September 22, 2003. Prior Environmental Site Assessments revealed extensive soil contamination and hazardous building materials. The Town of Southington, the Connecticut Brownfield Land Bank, Inc., and the developer (318 North Main Street, LLC) entered into a tri-party agreement to foreclose on the property, clear all liens, and transfer ownership to the developer.
Upon completion of remedial activities, the Connecticut Brownfield Land Bank authorized the transfer of property to the developer in February 2023. With collaboration from EPA, DECD, DEEP, the Town of Southington, and CTBLB, final construction is expected to begin shortly on 13,000 square feet of office space.